Friday, January 27, 2012

2012 End of the World





2012; end of the world; is it? If it is, will you be prepared? I saw the movie and I have to say that my first reaction was one of awe at the special effects of the movie. I thought it was great entertainment. I didn't really give it too much more thought until the earthquake hit Haiti. After the earthquake in Chile, I really started to think about it.

Whether the 2012 end of the world predictions happen or not, shouldn't we all be prepared at least in some basic sense. I live in the Great Northwest. We get many windstorms and because of all the trees, many of them fall and break power lines. We are left without power, sometimes for days at a time.

Can you imagine the turmoil that would follow if we lost power nationwide? Before you say that it couldn't happen here, in 1859 there was a solar storm that melted the telegraph lines and disrupted that communication media. Now that was back in 1859.

In 1859 there were no power lines stretching across the land from East coast to West coast as there is now. There were no cell phones, no computers or internet. There were no electronic ignition automobiles

The prestigious NEMA (National Electric Manufactures Association) is very concerned about solar storms, "During previous solar storm cycles, operators found some metallic power equipment glowing red hot." They claim that the effects of a severe solar storm could take years to repair and rebuild our network of electrical transmission lines. For a nonprofessional like me that is a scary prospect.

I don't want to be crying wolf here, but can you guess what is predicted for 2012? Yep, you guessed it, a large solar storm. This solar storm will be 30%-50% greater than the last one. Scientists forecast, not predict, the potential for extremely high solar storms. What has me concerned is that this is a forecast, not a prediction. That means it is not a matter of "if". This solar storm is going to happen. The "when" is the year 2012.

I don't know about you, but I want to be ready. Regardless of whether or not the predictions of the doomsday soothsayers come to pass or not, I want to feel secure in knowing that I am prepared for whatever Mother Nature throws at me. You and I both know that you cannot prepare for every little bump in the road.

Nevertheless, there is no excuse for us not to have a store of basic necessities available in the event of any catastrophe be it windstorm, flood, earthquake, or 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment